[TR] Tow Bar Blues

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Thu Jan 31 19:09:29 MST 2008

I think this somewhat akin to the brake fluid, gearbox oil and other such
unresolved matters of how the universe works.  A standard manual trans. does
not have an oil pump (unlike an auto trans that does).  The oil is
distributed by the rotation of the various shafts.

I think it is something of an urban legend that the gearbox will suffer from
towing ... however, everything in moderation.  I have towed manual trans
cars hundreds of miles when I was younger (and all old British cars since I
was in the UK at the time) without any ill effect.  However, if I was going
to tow any great distance here in the US, I would probably remove the prop
shaft given how easy it is to get to.

Tony Gordon
72 TR6