[TR] engine swap / motor skip

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Mon Jan 28 19:56:48 MST 2008

Hi Al,
The way I was taught to adjust valves was to get a feeler gauge set that has
a gauge just above and just below my target setting. If you are looking for
0.010 get a 0.009 and a 0.011. Holding the guage with two fingers, try the
0.009 guage. Don't force it. If it slides in very easily, go to the 0.010
guage. If you can slide the 0.010 but not the 0.011. You have that one done,
move on to the next. You shouldn't have to use a lot of force to insert the
gauge. In fact, if you hold the gauge with two fingers and can't pull out
the 0.010 gauge, it is too tight. It is easier to check pulling the guage
out rather than pushing it in as it is less likely to bind. This has worked
for me for years.
One other thing, if your guages are all deformed and bent, get a new
straight set or you will just be wasting your time.
Also, make sure you are on the right valve and cylinder!
I am sure you will hear several ways to go, just try whatever works for you.
>From what you describe, it certainly sounds like valve adjustment is part of
your problem.
Just my 0.02,
Dave Connitt