[TR] Strange noise after swapping out transmissions

OKCSpitfire OKCSpitfire at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 20:16:25 MST 2008

Hello listers, Once again looking for a little advice. I took the complete
drive train from a 77 Spitfire and placed it in my 76 Spitfire. Installed a
new clutch, pressure plate an throwout bearing. Rebuilt the clutch master
and slave cylinders. The trans is complete with a j-type overdrive. After
completing the job, got the wiring correct thank to the LBC guru's from the
forum. The problem is this strange noise when I come to a stop. The car was
a daily driver before the swap and did not make this noise. The noise is
like a small screw or metal object has fallen into the brake rotor. I
noticed it on my first test drive following the swap but my initial thought
was the throwout bearing was defective so I pulled the trans again and
replaced the bearing. I used a clutch alignment tool to check the alignment
and it was good. I replaced the bearing and put the trans back in the car
took it for another spin and the same sound was there, secon thought was the
finger on the pressure plate but then if the clutch is properly aligned it
should be ok. I looked at my rotors anddid not see any foreign material
lodged in the calipers or anywhere else. This is very puzzling and if anyone
has run across this or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any
input.

Thanks
Jerry Stasyszen
OKCSpitfire at sbcglobal.net