[TR] TR3 Steering Box Rebuild

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 11:28:23 MST 2008

Bill,

I stumbled across the Randall's instructions during a web search. Here
is the link: http://www.sctoa.org/helpdesk/index.htm

I would recommend measuring your shims. Randall mentions .010" and .004"
as the thickness that he has. I found mine to be .010" and .0025". It's
quite possible that the factory wasn't very consistent with what they
used. I easily got my worm set to within +/-.001, but I had three
steering boxes worth of shims to shuffle around.

The bushing in the bottom of the best box was still nice and tight which
I attribute to the box being full of nice clean gear oil.

Mike