[TR] U-Joint Removal

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sat Jan 19 18:11:28 MST 2008

Ok, so while I've got the drive train out I figured I'd do some routine
maintenance and replace all the u-joints. Lord knows if they've ever been
replaced. As per a suggestion from a fellow lister as well as the directions
in Haynes, they should "pop" right out with some hammer tapping on the yoke.
Well, that technique seems to work on some but not all. I've tried both a
regular hammer (yes I know I shouldn't be striking metal with a hammer due
to risk of chipping....BTW...the boys on Mythbusters dispelled that myth)
and a deadblow hammer, striking the yoke collar and all around with
increasing force. But some seem to be just frozen in place. I even got one
u-joint out but the cap is solidly stuck. Before I lock them in drill press
and attack with drill power, does anyone have any suggestions? Would heat
help?

Thanks

Bob

Bob Danielson