[TR] TR3 Steering Box Rebuild

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 18:00:04 MST 2008

> Is it worth trying to remove the good worm from the split
> shaft box and move it to the long shaft one or should I just
> bite the bullet and convert the car to the split shaft column
> assembly?

I've been debating the same question myself, purely on the ease of service
issue.  If you do decide to convert to the split column, don't forget you'll
need to add the brackets that support the column above and below the split.
The one below the split is welded to the frame, and ISTR the upper one uses
nuts welded to the body that earlier cars don't have.

My current thinking is that, if the original box is serviceable, I'll keep
the solid column.  As much as I hate removing the front apron, the box
shouldn't need rebuilding more than once every 10 years or so.

Randall