[TR] TR3 Steering Box Rebuild

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 19 17:11:06 MST 2008

I decided that I would tackle the task of rebuilding a steering box for
my TR3 this weekend.

I have a total of 3 boxes. This includes the original long shaft box
that was in the car, a spare split shaft box, and a split shaft box that
is in my TR3A parts car. I first disassembled the original long shaft
box and found that the bearing races and the ends of the worm had severe
brineling <spelling?> and is unusable. I then disassembled the spare
split shaft box and found that the worm was all beat up. It looks like
the peg had skipped right over the top of the worm many times. I finally
pulled the box out of the parts car. It was still full of oil and looks
to be in pretty good condition.

Is it worth trying to remove the good worm from the split shaft box and
move it to the long shaft one or should I just bite the bullet and
convert the car to the split shaft column assembly? The car I am
restoring is TS11544. I am not too paranoid about originality although I
am trying to keep all of the exterior panels and trim appropriate for
the vehicle. The split shaft assembly does have some advantages
regarding ease of service.

Thanks,

Mike