[TR] Super/Turbo charging a TR 4 pot? (was Classic Motorsports Article on Supercharged TR6)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 12:12:10 MST 2008

From: John Herrera

>	Another difference between turbochargers and superchargers is that
> superchargers compress the intake air after it is mixed with the fuel,
> and turbochargers compress the air before it is mixed with fuel. On
airplanes anyway.

I've seen it done both ways on cars; in fact somewhere I have a book talking
about the advantages and disadvantages of using turbos in "blow through" or
"suck through" carburetor configurations.  One problem with configuring a
turbo for "suck through" is that it must have seals capable of handling the
vacuum created when the throttle plates are closed (like at shifts & cruise
conditions).  Apparently most turbos don't have such seals.  And when they
do have the seals, the seals are troublesome.  But that book was written a
long time ago, so that may no longer be true today.

Probably a different book, but I've also seen a photo of a Paxton
belt-driven supercharger (which used a turbine compressor) blowing into a
carb.

> Seems to me that superchargers on fuel-injected car engines would compress
the air before
> it is mixed with fuel, but what do I know?

Certainly for port or direct injection.  But maybe not for TBI ?

Randall