[TR] still control head stuck-on

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Tue Jan 15 17:05:23 MST 2008

List,
Thanks for telling me about the 4 steering wheel wires on my TR3.  It turns
out that after gentle prying of the control head, that I still have a 3/16th"
width seperation between the plastic control head and the wheel.  This width
is visable and just behind the plastic.  I'm guessing that this width is about
right.
    As I said last night, I'd like to pull the control head and wiring out of
the stator tube.  However, I can only remove 2 of the 3 setscews.  I thought I
drilled out the third screw, but, the control head still wants to hug onto the
steering wheel for some reason.  If I gently tug to seperate the head from the
wheel, then that seperation  comes out to about 7/16th".  And like I said, if
I push it back like 'blowing the horn direction forward' then only 3/16"
seperation exists.
     It's possible that with more 'slanting sideways' of the drill and 2-3
hours that I can free the control head.  I've also learned that while my horn
wire works as it should, the turn signals still don't work.  The method used
showing me that there is a problem with flashers is this:
    With my AA-battery test light I connect it's wire to the green common
wire.  And with the probe end of the light I touch both of the green-w/-red
and green-w/white wires.  IF, when I turn the control head's silvery-indicator
far left, or far right then I expect the light to come on.  However, neither
one does, neither L or R.  Furthermore, when I touch the stator tube while
connected with any of the three greenish wires then NONE OF THEM SHOW A SHORT
with the stator tube.
    Since none of the green-like wires show a short, but, still do not work,
then I first suspect it maybe a problem down in the turn signal itself.  Since
the silvery indicatory seems to work fine.  BTW, does it go 'on top' or 'on
bottom' when held for a TR3A's driver sitting and driving?
    It is my guess that I'll go ahead and spend the 2-3 hours and try to pull
out the control head in order to fix this turn signal (s) problem.  Does
anyone have a guess as to how to fix it?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3