[TR] TR6 tranny alignment - use of dowels

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 10:42:09 MST 2008

I  agree with the dowel pin issue. Its very important that either the
original dowel pins be installed or shoulder bolts.

Here's something else I do which has been a big help:

1. Buy several cheap (Gr 2 or 3)  5/16-24 (?) bolts 3 inches long or  so.

2. Hacksaw the heads off, and using the same hacksaw, make a slot in the  end
ewhere the head was for a screwdriver.

3. I install several of them in the engine to use as a guide and to slide
the tranny in on to protect as much as possible the input shaft of the  tranny.

4. Once the tranny is in, replace them one at a time with long bolts which
you can now use  as an aid to align and inert the transmission. It is very
important that you know the clutch spline has been properly engaged by the input
shaft before much torque is put on these bolts.

Mike Moore