[TR] TR6 tranny alignment - use of dowels

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Tue Jan 15 10:06:46 MST 2008

On January 14, Alan Salvatore wrote:

	"Its time to replace the clutch on the TR6;  I almost got run
over trying to accelerate onto I-85 today.
	Its probably got about 2 weeks left in it before it totally
quits.

	 The Luk kit came a few days ago.  Now I am waiting on a Speedie
Sleeve to put on the rear crank.
	Any tips on pulling the trannie. How difficult is it to lift
out?  I remember some talk about using some dowels to line it up on  the
install."

	----------------

Al,

I posted a response on the List a while back on how to use shoulder
bolts as dowels to properly line up a tranny with the engine plate.

Here's that post again:

	'I had put a new TOB in two years ago and was more than dismayed
when I recently started to get a squeal when I first engaged the clutch.
Hours spent on the web brought up all kinds of stories on faulty new
throw out bearings followed by all kinds of advice on possible cures.

	One of the articles on the web talked about the need to locate
the gearbox center relative to the flywheel center with two 3/8 dowels
or shoulder bolts.   That article mentioned that most owners are unaware
of the need to do this and only use 5/16 bolts in all the holes of the
bell housing.  This would cause an eccentric alignment between the two
centers and all kinds of clutch problems.

	I then pulled out my gearbox and found that the 2-year-old TOB
was perfectly fine, but I had used only 5/16 mounting bolts.   I also
found a badly worn (actually, badly machined) flywheel bushing.  I
replaced the flywheel bushing, used two shoulder bolts with 3/8 ground
shoulders and 5/16 threads from Fastenal in the locating holes,
reassembled everything and the squeal is gone.

	Lesson learned: Everyone, make sure you use 3/8 shoulder bolts
to properly align the centers of your gearbox and flywheel.  If you only
use 5/16 bolts to mount your gearbox, you will get all kinds of
clutch/TOB/bushing problems because of their eccentric motion.'

Hope this helps,

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg