[TR] How Many Gearheads Does it Take to Put in a Tranny?

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 07:38:59 MST 2008

I have owned my TR3A since I bought it in 1963 from the original owner for
$450. I have replaced the tranny many times. I have always done it by myself.
However, there is a subtle but very serious problem with that I  discovered:

I had a problem in which the clutch appeared to be dragging immediately
after I replaced it. I went nuts swapping components back and forth and putting
my non-od tranny in , swapping it back etc. I could not put the car in gear
with  the engine running.

In desperation, I placed the clutch disc on the pilot shaft I was using and
spun it. It was warped.
I had warped the clutch disc by momentarily allowing the tranny to "hang"  on
the engine while I was readjusting my position.

The solution was a $50 Harbor Freight tranny jack, which I highly  recommend.
If you do it by yourself or with help, it is too easy to warp the  clutch
disc.

Mike Moore