[TR] TR4A sale values to contest insurance company ??valuation

Pat Fischer pfischer at rmi.net
Sun Jan 13 19:47:00 MST 2008

I think the issue is that your insurance company needs to be able to
value your car in case you have a serious claim. That is much easier on
a 93 Toyota than a 63 TR4. (Easier for them and easier for you.) It's
pretty simple to find a professional reference for what your 4 is worth.
Why not do that and call your agent?  Say, "If my Triumph is wrecked,
what are you going to give me for it?" This thread started because a
list member was getting a quote from his insurance company on his
damaged 4 that was less than he thought it was worth. It's not the
insurance company's fault; they're unfamiliar with the cars and the
cars' values.

I had a car fire in my beloved 250 several years back. It didn't even
damage all that much, when you think about it, but a restoration cost
$7,000.  I was really, REALLY happy that I had an agreement with my
insurance company that stated the car was worth $12,000.

Maybe you don't have that much invested in your British cars. Your
choice of course. I just don't think that ugly surprises are what
insurance is about.