[TR] Carefully Cleaning a TR3 Engine Block

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Jan 11 15:10:25 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/11/2008 3:30:14 PM Central Standard Time,
bill_beecher at flash.net writes:
> Hit a snag at the machine shop today, they are afraid to clean the block
> for
> fear of removing the orange "TR3" that was hand painted on the block at the
> factory.   Their normal process calls for baking the block then putting it
> into a tumbler where it is blasted with steel shot.
>
> I understand from he VTR Judging guide the value to retaining this orange
> notation on the original engine for my car, mine is about 75% completely
> visible, but not sure what the safest way to thoroughly clean the block,
> inside and out, to prepare it for a complete rebuild.  So far, the strongest
> thing I have used is Gunk and a pressure washer at the local car wash.  Or,
> am I being too anal and no-one really cares?

You will not receive any deduct points for not having TR3 hand painted on the
block.  The factory only did this on replacement engines, I think.  But in
any event, most TR3's don't have this and live happy, productive lives.

I can't say what TRA's position is on this.

Dave Massey