[TR] Fuel gauge follow up

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 29 11:43:30 MST 2008

> I do appear to have a different instrument,
> although it is Jager with convex glass it has spade
> connections on the
> back, could this be from early TR4?

Unfortunately, that is very likely exactly what it is.  If so, it will have
round holes on the back instead of the two small adjustment slots with nuts;
and no markings as to which terminal is which (because it doesn't matter on
the TR4 gauge).  The reading will also change relatively slowly as you move
the sender, instead of instantly as with the TR2-3 gauge.

> if it is from a TR4 does it work in the same way?

The inside of the gauge is totally different, and as you've noticed, it
works backwards to the TR2-3 gauge.  However, I believe you could use it by
finding a TR4 sender and adding a voltage stabilizer to the circuit.

Another route would be to sell your restored gauge and start over with the
right one.

Randall