[TR] TR3 front apron

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Fri Feb 29 10:46:28 MST 2008

In a message dated 2/29/2008 9:28:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Roger at rw-architect.com writes:

Well, it  all started with the radiator cap. I noticed it seemed a little
loose, so I  ordered a new one. I decided it was time to switch to a
skirted thermostat,  so I got one of those too. Seems too easy - right?

Now with the new  cap, the system is getting pressurized really well and
I have a new leaking  seam in the radiator below the extended filler
neck. The radiator is  ancient and I was not completely surprised by
this. Even though I never  have any overheating problems, probably
because of the mild weather in  northern California, I decided to go with
the Wizard aluminum radiator. The  hoses look a little ratty, so I have
ordered new hoses and clamps. So,  replacing a $6 cap has once again
turned into a major project.

I  have never pulled the front apron on a TR3 (actual a '60 TR3A).
Removal and  installation seems pretty straightforward in the service
manual, although  it would have helped if they had included a few
pictures or  diagrams.

Does anyone have any helpful tips on removing the front  apron, so I
don't screw this one up?

Roger Wilson
'60 TR3
'69  Morris Minor Traveller

Hi Roger,
Having owned TS41723L since 1964, I have had to remove my apron numerous
times. Its not all that tough to do, but I can tell you what it took me several
times to learn:

1. When you disconnect the wires for the front headlights and turn  signals
etc,  no matter how much you THINK you know what goes where, you  can save time
by labelling the wires. I use simple things like 1, 2, 3,  etc. and I just
label  both sides  "1",or "2"  etc. without  regard for function. I usually use
a strip of masking tape, but that is not very  satisfactory. I keep promising
myself I'll buy some string-tags but haven't  yet.

2. Straighten out the tabs for the chrome molding and either have some help
to hold it out of the way or somehow prevent the chrome strip from flopping
back  into the paint where those razor sharp edges will make sharp gouges. I
have  scraped a couple of fresh paint jobs this way. I have recently taken   ( on
my Jaguar) to taping towels all around where it may strike.

Take your time, and good luck!

Mike Moore

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)