[TR] Detaching header from tailpipe

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 16:24:01 MST 2008

> I'd like to get the header out for a ceramic coating, but, of
> course, can't
> budge it from its junction with the tail pipe. Many applications of
> rust-bust stuff hasn't helped. Is there a way to get them
> apart without cutting?

Not always.

> Do I apply a  propane torch?

Should help, but don't forget that most "rust bust stuff" is flammable.  Get
it good and hot, then try twisting the pipes.  Wrapping a wet towel around
the part that goes inside (to create a temporary thermal gradient) may help
too.  Once they start to move a little, dose with PB Blaster then keep
twisting back and forth.

Randall