[TR] Fuel gauge Q

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 12:15:54 MST 2008

> Can someone tell me
> looking at the back of the instrument which wire goes to the left
> terminal and which to the right,

Looking at the back, with the electrical terminals on top, the right
terminal gets the green wire (switched, fused power) and the left terminal
gets the green/black from the sender.  The markings can be seen in the
photos at :
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_02.htm

> Is it possible for these instruments
> to read backwards.

No, unless you have the wrong sender (or gauge).  However, it will
definitely not work if the wires are reversed.  I forget whether it reads
full all the time or empty all the time, but it doesn't indicate the level
in the tank at all.

Don't forget that both the sender and gauge (for these early gauges) must be
grounded for proper operation.  It's not clear to me whether the factory
provided ground wires for them or not; but IMO the grounding through the
mountings is far from secure and adding a ground wire for each is a
worthwhile (and hidden) modification.

Unless of course your penchant for originality extends to having electrical
problems even when almost new <G>

Randall