[TR] Brake Assembly Questions

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 20:05:17 MST 2008

Hi Andy,
I would recommend some sort of carefully applied grease to rear brake
shoe-seats. You should see my worn-out original TR4 brake backing plates! The brake
shoe 'rests' are quite worn down.. counter-intuitive to lubing them when
reshoeing, I always left them clean. Excessive wear in these seats resulted in an
'un-square' orientation to the drum surface when shoes at rest - this required
over-compensating the adjusters to clear the crooked shoes from rubbing the
drums, and in turn, added to my 'pedal travel' to get them back up against the
drum-face when braking. Ok, maybe 15 thousandths of added shoe clearance only
creates 1/8 inch more pedal travel - mostly I didn't like struggling with the
adjusters to MINIMIZE drum gap with CROOKEDY shoes!
It took at least a year to find 2 replacement TR4 backing plates with better
seats (thanks Joe A) so now I have purchased some CRC 'Brake Lube' (two 1/4oz
squeeze tubes per card) for about $4 at a well stocked auto shop. This package
recommends lubing the shoe seats and other 'wear points' ie; springs,
linkages, parking bits, etc.
This CRC brake grease smells/looks just like old fashioned translucent
orange/yellow type of grease - not sure if high temp or not.
Backing plates can wear out of spec, and good replacement plates are really
hard to find, so I'll be adding a dab of grease to my shoe-seats, here on out.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

==AM==
I'll pretty much go along with this. Personally, I've always used white
lithium grease (I still have half of the can I bought over 30 years ago!)
where
needed. Mostly where I've found it was "needed" was on any/all parts of the
adjuster, and on the backing plate and wheel cylinder surfaces that contact
same, so that it will slide properly (which it must be able to do), and
wherever
the handbrake lever pivot points might be (wheel cylinder and clevis pin or
other connection to the cable). But that's about it. I've never seen any
particular benefit to lubing the shoe ends...or even where the shoes touch the

backplate. But that's me.... ;-)
--Andy   Mace<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Ideas to please picky eaters.
Watch video on AOL Living.<BR>
(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)</HTML>