[TR] ENGINE RUNNING!

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 15:23:56 MST 2008

I've had the engine running smoothly at about 3000rpm now for about 20
minutes.  The carb linkage issue has been resolved for now.  It sounded great!
(Although the exhaust rumblings were a little inconsistant- but, hey, don't I
hear that on other old sports cars? (Why does it do that?)
    The new Wizard Cooling Radiator was doing great...I think.  It has
antifreeze in it, and when I pump 7 lbs. of pressure (using a rented LAPS rad.
pressure checker) it will go down to 5 or 6 lbs. of pressure and hold it for
several minutes.  The rental's little instruction booklet says this is good
enuf, but, they may not be the right equipment for a Triumph.  The reason I
say that is they make no mention of an 'overnight test' and also that I had to
cut a piece of rubber for a temporary gasket to insert in the very top of the
rad. neck in order to try and get a good seal.  Possibly, this gauge had been
rented out too much, cause I suspect it would leak out air if left on it
overnight.
    Which is my next question: how does one use this or another/better
radiator pressure checker to test for pressure leakage?  I think if the
pressure doesn't hold 5 lbs. overnight then one might suspect their figure-8
gaskets, right?  I think 'figure-8 gasket' testing is prudent since I found
the crankcase partily full of water about a week ago.
    Another issue is the water temp.  While running, it slowly rose to 190
degrees, and after cutting it off it went to 200.  I don't remember the
specification of the installed thermostat,- it might have been 190.  But I had
one thermostat that was a 180 specification.  If the 180 thermostat was the
one installed, shouldn't I be concerned with the 190-195 on the gauge?
Proably not, cause the engine was sitting still, with a window fan running
right in front of it.  I have installed the radiator's electric fan, but, I
have not wired it up yet!
    That brings me to the biggest question: after about 5 minutes of running,
the new radiator was dripping coolant out of the uppermost 'bung hole'.  This
is a threaded hole TIG(?) welded in by Scott at wizard radiator, and is
located on the top tank and on the same level as the neck of the radiator  .
This bung has a plug (requiring an 11/16" wrench to tighten) was a $20
addition which would be required by the future electric fan temp sensor.  On
the outside of the 11/16" plug is a drab green colored tape-covered small
electrical terminal.   Perhaps I only need tighten this plug to  about 50
ftlbs. of torque.  Is that about right?
      I dunno, maybe I should number my questions?

Thanks, Paul