[TR] key series

George Richardson gprtech at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 12 15:17:45 MST 2008

Wow, finally a question in my area of expertise. Both of the keys you
have are for the FP series. Most TR3As would have originally been
equiped with these keys. Earlier TR3 and TR2 would have had FA series keys.

This is a link to my catalog page showing the typical DP series
replacement key blank and it's equivalent:

http://www.key-men.com/shopping/show_key.php?catnum=62DP

For Triumph cars, the keys always had a round head, but the there are
rectangular and delta shaped heads used on other British cars. Most of
the time, the locks had the key code stamped on the face of the lock.

Originally, when you wanted to buy a replacement key, you'd go to the
parts shop (motor factor?) and give them the key code and they would
have cut keys right on a rack. Blank keys were not generally available.
Now, you generally buy a blank key and have it cut to the code.

If you need replacements, I can supply and cut them. If you're looking
for original keys, I have a small supply of original cut keys in varying
conditions. If you supply me your codes, I can look though them and let
you know if I have your code.

George Richardson