[TR] fuel adjustment needed somewhere?

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 10 21:55:13 MST 2008

Hi,
Today I ran my TR3's engine for the first time in about two years (during
which I installed the body).  I ran it for 20 minutes in order to 'dry' out
the cooling system- which had over a quart of water in it!  I had changed the
oil and had 50-70 psi of oil pressure  and am hopeful that no long term damage
results from me leaving my car under a tarp outside (possibly in the rain)?

The question I have is about my SU h6 carbs.  During this 20 minute period, I
could not get the engine speed to slow down.  Unfortunatly, it wanted to run
3000 rpm or more.  Although the oil pressure was good, the water temp. gauge
did not work, which is why I did not let it run longer.  I continually
monitored the top radiator hose 'by touch' hoping that I could detect if the
motor started running hot.  Fortunately, with my new aluminum Wizard Radiator,
it did not seem to run hot (to the touch).

Now, back to the carbs:  which were the cause of the 3000+rpm's.  I had
rebuilt them myself, having manuals and a limited knowledge of carbs, but I
did have the correct rebuild kits!  All acelerator linkage worked well and
'raced' the motor when throttled.  Raising the carb's pistons didn't have ANY
effect on the speed of the engine, nor on the amount of suction usually felt
on the front of the carbs(air filter removed).  I'm kinda guessing that the
carb's might be sucking in air other than thru the air filters, but due to the
racing of the motor, they also had to be getting extra gas from somewhere.
Maybe unadjusted jet-adjusting-nuts?  Or are these nuts only used to determine
choke/jet heighth?

Please help, as I plan to try and straighten out this problem tomorrow.

Thanks, Paul Dorsey 60 TR3