[TR] TR4 Tow Bar Question

Nolan foxtrapper at aceweb.com
Fri Feb 8 03:51:40 MST 2008

I've built several custom hitches over the years.  Mostly for motorcycles,
but a few for cars and trucks as well.

Making it rigid is the key.  If the hitch ball doesn't move, things work
much better than when the hitch ball does move.  The mount itself usually
isn't the issue, it's the flexing of the hitch itself most of the time.

In your case, since you're towing a very light trailer assembly, and you
want removability, I'd be most inclined to go with a bumper hitch.  The
bumper is more than strong enough for your application, and is pretty rigid.

I'd fabricate a socket to fit onto the face of the bumper, rubber lined, and
a ratchet strap on each side to lock it down.  You could also use hooks and
camlocks that grasp the backside edge of the bumper blade.  This would be
even better, but would cost more.  To get a good fit onto the face of the
bumper, don't fear wood.  As in something like oak.  You can shape it well
to fit very securely.  Remember, this is only going to see small up and down
loads, the straps or locks are what is going to see the primary towing
loads.

If you are determined to go frame mounting, don't use anything but  bolts to
mount to the frame.  You need a tight joint, and thumb nuts and such will
not provide this, and have the disconcerting habit of falling off.  I
personally like square tube for custom hitches.  Makes triangulating and
such much easier.  Your basic shape would be a horseshoe.  Reinforce those
corners to reduce the flex.  The longer the legs of the horseshoe are, the
more up and down flexing you'll have.  You can greatly control that by going
with stouter tubing and making the frame bolts as widely spaced as possible.