[TR] TR6 Differential Mount Repair - reinforcing bracket fit

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Wed Feb 6 12:21:29 MST 2008

Bob,

The reinforcing brackets I bought from TRF butt up against the sides of
the existing brackets.  These brackets were too big to go inside the
existing diff mounts.  One of the guys in our TR club is a professional
welder and he tacked them in place before applying the full bead.

I added these brackets while the body was on the frame.  They are almost
impossible to get at, but somehow, my welder was able to get a bead
around 90% of the perimeter of all four reinforcing plates.

I think I caught my bracket failure just in time.  A crack had formed
around the stud of the passenger side front bracket, but hadn't migrated
all the way across the bracket yet.  It would have  been very nasty if
it had.

By the way, TRF brackets were very expensive, but they fit perfectly
(NFI).

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg

On Feb 6, Bob Danielson wrote:

	On a TR6, do the re-enforcing brackets fit inside the existing
differential
	mounting bracket OR do they butt up to the sides of them? I
guess the only
	difference would be where the welding bead was laid. If the
bracket butts to
	the side of the mount, the bead would end up more of top and
would that
	interfere with the differential bushings? I don't think so but
wanted to
	check with the experts.