[TR] Spit: Lucas electronic ignition

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 14:26:18 MST 2008

Brad, if you have the Delco distributor and that fancy electronic coil unit
made in France, then it SURE DOES have a 4-terminal Delco electronic ignition
unit inside it.

I had the Delco ignition on my '80 Spider.  I finally got scared of it because
I thought it had some unique, irreplaceable stuff inside.  Also, I installed
the UK SU carbs, and wanted to take advantage of the vacuum advance offered by
the carbs.  This required the use of the POINTS-type UK distributor.  The
points are extremely tedious to adjust.  So, when the time came to re-adjust
them, I installed a newtronics electronic ignition.  The manufacturing of the
interruptor was extremely poor and it allowed extra ignition signals about 10
degrees earlier than the real ones for 2 of the cylinders.  Not good.  I
removed that one in a hurry.

At that same time, I heard that the original electronic ignition used very
standard guts, and I reinstalled the original distributor and electronic
ignition with a new module.  It works fine and there is no apparent problem
with using mechanical-only advance.

The actual coil on the French unit does seem to be unique.  It is similar to
other coils, but the mounting stud holes are not precisely the same as others
I have seen for sale.  I have not looked very hard because it seems to be
working fine for now.

-Tony

>Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 02:18:00 GMT
>From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler at 141.com>
>Subject: Re: [TR] Spit: Lucas electronic ignition
>To: "tim gaines" <mtgaines at mail.presby.edu>, <triumphs at autox.team.net>
>
>I wonder if this would apply to the 1980 TR7 ignition modules?  Looks like
I'm