[TR] Spit: Lucas electronic ignition

Tim Gaines mtgaines at mail.presby.edu
Sat Dec 20 09:01:41 MST 2008

My 1980 Spit has left me stranded several times over the
last few years, always with no spark.  I have always found
that playing with the bolts holding the Lucas amp module
down eventually restores the spark.  I assumed the problem
was that the module was losing its ground connection.
 Last time I had the problem I took a lot of time to clean
the connection and even added a ground wire.  Well, I
recently got stranded again, played with the module a bit,
got going again and drove home, now can't get a spark, and
my meter shows that the module is clearly grounded.  So
has my fiddling in the past been accomplishing something
unrelated to grounding, or does the electronic ignition
fail this way, with intermittent stops and starts
regardless of what I do?  Have any of you experienced this
before?

Thanks for any advice, and happy holidays to everyone.
 Can you believe I was driving the TR6 top down yesterday
here in the warm south?!  Sorry to rub that in.  Yeah,
yeah, I know that cold weather is back in our forecast in
a couple of days.

Tim
Clinton, SC
1980 Spit