[TR] drill bits

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Thu Dec 18 20:31:19 MST 2008

Gary Nafziger wrote:
> hello,
> Anyone have suggestions on where or what brand of really good drill
> bits to buy?  One's that last more than 4-5 uses?  I'm getting frustrated with
> one's i'm using.  thanks!

One principal description seems to be the best guide--the type of steel
used.  If the set is described as "carbon steel," they're not that
hard.  Look for bits advertised as "HSS steel." HSS is a tool steel and
is a good deal harder than carbon steel.

Any bit with titanium nitride coating will be a gold color and capable
of lasting quite a while, but those have to be treated differently than
other materials.  The most common mistake made with TiN-coated bits is
not using enough pressure.  Allowing such a bit to spin work-hardens to
material to be cut and rubs off the coating, and the bit stops cutting.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....