[TR] tr nos vs. repros.

cm.sherman at verizon.net cm.sherman at verizon.net
Wed Dec 17 11:49:22 MST 2008

I believe the question is not WHAT is the difference, but rather HOW can you tell? This can be a challenge depending on the part and supplier source.

Few reputable dealers claim to have NOS - and when they do, they are fairly responsible about stating so with "Made in" labels. Then there is eBay, where all sorts of claims run about. Some attempt to place repro product in original wrappers and boxes. The caveat is buyer beware!

Remember that Californian TR5 which was a fake on eBay a few years back... Fraud comes in small and large.

I'm no expert, but few NOS parts age well (given 40 years): plastic often dulls or yellows, rubber degrades and metal tarnishes.  Some parts look slightly off in molds, form, exact color and their sub components. Then again suppliers/mfgrs varied back then too.

The best way is to know for certain is to know your supplier. Nowadays fakes are so good, its hard to tell. Fortunately the parts for TRs are not as pricy as Aston Martins and Ferraris, so the market has not been proliferated with copies.

Corey Sherman