[TR] "Best" Nut to use

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 14 15:27:34 MST 2008

> So what are you using or what do you recommend?

I use what McMaster-Carr calls an "oval lock with conical top".  Similar in
principal to Cleveloc nuts, but a slightly different shape.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/3139

Unaffected by heat or vibration; and held perfectly when ordinary Nylocs
would back off in a few thousand miles.  Contrary to what MMC says, I reuse
them several times.

Which is kind of silly, since that box of 100 would be a lifetime supply
even if I used a new one every time <G>

The only downside I see is that they do wear the bolt threads to some
extent, and after many on/off cycles it would probably be prudent to replace
the bolt.  But I've not reached that point yet.

Randall