[TR] Facet Pump

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 13 09:23:56 MST 2008

>   1.. Behind the mechanical (tank to pump) or in front (pump
> to carbs)? I prefer behind because of the rubber hose
> availability, any pros and cons?

My personal preference would be to bypass it entirely ... the usual way for
the mechanical pump to fail is for the diaphragm to start leaking; which
will continue to leak even with the added pump.

>   2.. Wiring connections?

It would be safer to have some means of automatically disabling the pump in
case of a serious accident.  For example, Triumph Stags (and many other
cars) have an inertial cutout that disables the pump in case of hard impact;
while some VW Rabbits (and again other cars) have a time delay relay that
disables the pump when the engine is not turning.

I would also want to have a separate fuse in the line to the pump, which
could be as simple as an in-line fuse to the hot terminal of the ignition
coil (if you are mounting the pump in that area).

>   3.. Any need to modify the mechanical or will the facet
> push/pull through it.

If it is working correctly, the Facet should push or pull through it.  But
then, if it were working correctly, you wouldn't need the Facet.

>   4.. Does it require a pressure regulator?

There are different models; the lowest pressure model does not require a
regulator.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php

While I like the little rectangular Facets (they also make other different
styles), they are noisy little buggers.  I would suggest doing at least some
form of 'soft' mounting, so the sheet metal doesn't amplify the pump noise.
On the Stag, I bent a simple bracket from sheet metal, and used rubber
grommets for sound isolation.  I can still hear the pump at idle, but it's
not objectionable to me.

Randall