[TR] Where on the rad. to place a temp. sensor?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 17:37:41 MST 2008

> Where would be the best place to put one of these things?
> 1) close to where water flows out of the rad. into the engine.
> 2) close the where water flows into the rad. from the engine.

Depends on your definition of "best", IMO.  Near the outlet from the
radiator is the usual choice, so the fan only runs when the airflow through
the radiator is otherwise insufficient to cool the water.  But some people
like to have the fan come on sooner when things start to warm up, and so put
it near the inlet.

> On the Stag there is a pipe on the top left and a pipe on the bottom right
> of the rad.. (looking from engine side). Is there a convention of which
> way water flows out of a rad?

The convention is hot water in at the top, cool water out at the bottom.  I
don't know if all cars follow this, but I'm pretty sure the Stag does.

Randall