[TR] Turn Signal Wiring 59 TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 9 09:41:33 MST 2008

> Do you run
> a ground wire for each turn signal light (the round red
> lights on the tail) and do you run the ground to the screw
> holding the socket to the body?  Also, for the tail/brake
> lights, do you run the ground wire only for the left rear
> light and again, to the mounting screw?

I believe originally there were no ground wires for any of the rear lamps.
But I also believe that adding them is a good idea.  However, I don't trust
the mounting screws to have a good ground, as they only go into a metal clip
that may have paint or rust between it and the body.  Instead, I made up a
ground 'harness' that connected to one of the fuel tank mounting bolts, and
visited all the rear lamps.

> while the tail lights/brake lights seem to be in series.

None of the bulbs/lamps are supposed to be in series, they all need to be
securely grounded for proper operation.  The tail lights may seem to work
without a ground; until the brakes are applied at the same time (when the
ungrounded lamp will go out).

Randall