[TR] TR head rebuild

Catpusher at aol.com Catpusher at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 18:53:48 MST 2008

The plug is threaded into the head and usually leaks only after extreme heat
or chemical cleaning.
The very late factory TR4A heads had the outer top of the plug peened after
installation (hint)

A race track fix is to drill and tap the center of the plug, and run a set
screw into the hole after putting
a stout flat washer with on OD larger than the plug over the top of the plug.
 Use sealer under the washer
and on the setscrew. A copper flat sealing washer under the head of the
setscrew is a good idea.  When you tighten the set screw, it pulls on the plug
threads in the head and helps seal them.  I raced a head with this fix for many
seasons, and no water ever leaked into the oil.

Hardy