[TR] tr-3 inner body restore

Gary Nafziger nafzigerg at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 12:26:34 MST 2008

I'm currently working on cutting out rust and welding in new metal on
the inner body tr-3.  The radius area where the rear fenders meet the body is
a real mess especially drivers side.  The fenders are not my main concern as
much as the "overlap" area between where the inner body over laps the wheel
well.  These are spot welded together and also have the caged nuts welded in
behind on the wheel well part.  I'm cutting out small sections where I can see
bulging of the metal but not taking apart the complete seam all the way
round.  I then plan on sandblasting inside and out cleaning as much up as
possible followed by a good soaking/painting of POR-15 or some other anti
rust.......

I'm wondering if this is enuf.  Since I am this far along I'd
hate to be taking a shortcut which will show up a disapointment a year or two
later.  Which leads me to another general question.  There are many many
overlapping seams in a car which will never be taken apart and cleaned
up. Many of the seams I've opened up so far show rust but not rust holes which
means they've progressed that far over 40+ years without serious damage.  With
modern anti-rust paints available plus the fact that the car will never see
salt and probably rarely even be driven in the rain.............how concerned
should a person be regarding rust and its removal in all the little nooks and
crannies.

Also.............POR-15 a good product?  Any other products people
prefer?  anything cheaper? lol

thanks again everyone.

gary n.