[TR] Government at its worst - 3 queries

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 21:12:26 MST 2008

> Though I must confess that a quick glance at the Safety Belt
> code in the California DMV did not turn up such info, I'm
> still sure enough that it's true that I'll happily defend that point.

The law is (as usual) not crystal clear on this point (makes me think our
legislators must be functionally illiterate).  However, the relevant section
is usually cited as California Vehicle Code section 27315(f), which states
"This subdivision does not, however, require installation or maintenance of
safety belts where not required by the laws of the United States applicable
to the vehicle at the time of its initial sale."
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27315.htm

And FWIW the CHP officer on the scene where my TR3A was totaled seemed to be
aware of this.  He started to ask me if I'd been wearing a belt, then
glanced at the car and said "Of course not".

My only suggestion is, the next time you are hassled about the rear seat;
ask that the officer give you a citation.  In order to fill out the
citation, he must be able to name "chapter and verse" of which part of the
VC you have violated.  I once had a rather heated argument after admitting
that my speedometer did not work (speedometers are not required by law) and
that ended the argument quickly.  Still got a ticket for speeding, though
<G>

Randall