[TR] Government at its worst - 3 queries

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Tue Dec 2 18:57:01 MST 2008

> Somewhere in your blog of legal battles, you mention getting hassled
> about the tiny back seat. Were you using it at the time, or did they
> just not like it being there? :)

Using it at the time.

Our cars had optional back seats and no seat belts, front or back.

As I understand it, our older vehicles (which were built without
safety belts) are exempt from the normal safety equipment requirements.

In other words, you are required to use (and not disable/remove)
whatever safety equipment your vehicle came with, such as the
bumpers, but are not required to update your vehicle with the
new safety requirements.

Though I must confess that a quick glance at the Safety Belt
code in the California DMV did not turn up such info, I'm still
sure enough that it's true that I'll happily defend that point.

For example, we don't need to have three point seat belts,
though that's required equipment today.  So are reverse lights,
I think, which don't exist on the early cars either.

Regardless, while I know California has a seat belt law, it
does not have a law regarding the safety or size of the back
seat, and that's what I get pulled over for.

I did some searching, and could only find people making uncited
claims, so maybe it's simply unenforced.  For example:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/dec/12/autos/hy-wheels12

But no citing of legal/government sources.

Anyone have more info on this?

Dave