[TR] Government at its worst

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 09:07:03 MST 2008

One mechanism that I've heard works in most states is to file a "mechanic's
lien" against the car, specifying that the legal owner must pay you for the
work you've done (including storage fees).  When he fails to do so, you can
sell the car to yourself and thus generate a new, clear title.

But there are also several "title services" like the one Alex mentioned,
that can generate a new title.  Google for [automobile "title service"]

Fortunately, here in CA, it's even easier ... I'm in the middle of the
process myself.  Only hitch at this point is that the car must be
'assembled' (which apparently means it must have seats) before the DMV can
inspect the VIN.

Randall