[TR] TR6 transmission leaks

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 14:59:43 MST 2008

> They're not airtight what with the way the shifter box is
> constructed. I
> mean you can fill these things by pouring gear oil in the top
> when the shift
> lever goes

Huh?  I thought we were talking about a TR6 transmission here ... the bottom
of the shift lever is open to the outside world, but there are supposed to
be oil seals where the 3 shafts enter the casting.  Granted, they do
frequently leak, but that's mostly because the replacement seals (which are
just standard O-rings) don't fit properly (plus many rebuilders overlook
replacing them).  I believe Herman machines spacers to make the O-rings fit
snugly; but I found some packing rings at MMC that accomplished the same
thing.

Not sure that it applies to all combinations, but my TR6 and Stag boxes have
a small plain vent hole near the front of the shift cover.  On models with
overdrive, of course, the vent in the OD unit also serves to vent the main
box.

There is even a service note to check that the vent is clear, if the seals
leak.
http://www.triumphsonly.com/pages/technical/1-d-1.htm

Randall