[TR] Overdrive woes

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Aug 29 06:32:24 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/28/2008 5:06:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
ceaston at oberon.ark.com writes:
> I have been trying to troubleshoot a TR6 Type J overdrive for the last
> couple
> of days. It's in a '73 and the electrical circuit is set up with a relay
> similar to earlier models. The problem is it cuts out when changing speed.
> have replaced the relay and the transmission switch. The column switch is
> new
> and seems to work fine. I have not touched the solenoid. I hooked a light
> into
> the circuit at the solenoid and when it quits the solenoid is not getting
> power.

When you say "changing speed" do you mean changing gears?  It could be the
switch mounted on the top of the transmission.  The one that detects when either
third or fourth gear is selected.  First check to see if it is loose.  If it
is not then try removing one of the shims used to adjust the height of the
switch.

When you do this set the transmission in either third or fourth before
screwing the switch in.  If the switch binds before it gets tight on the shims then
it is too tight and you may need another switch.

Dave