[TR] Speedo Problem Update

acekraut11 at aol.com acekraut11 at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 00:29:14 MDT 2008

 Hi Everyone:

Tonight was spent working with fellow TR6 owner Rick Patton trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with my speedo since it stopped working after the speedo cable snapped a couple inches from the right angle drive.? We discovered that the plastic piece on the speedo end would bind in the metal sleeve when attached to the speedo.? A little filing allowed the whole unit to function properly at the speedo end.? Off to check out the other end and to cut off a bit of the cable since it was too long.? But before cutting I decided to remove the angle drive in order to make sure everything was still able to spin correctly.? Well, the end that screws into the OD had snapped so the right angle drive is useless.? So, which came first, the speedo end binding and causing the speedo cable and right angle to break or did the right angle drive seize first.? My money is on the little plastic piece seizing and causing the other two problems.? Before I order a replacement right angle drive from TRF I thought I would ask the list if anyone had a decent one laying around picking up dust that they might want to get rid of?

And Vance, I did lube the cable with moly grease to hopefully minimze internal cable friction.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)