[TR] cleaning electrical bullet connectors

mark.jones at exxonmobil.com mark.jones at exxonmobil.com
Thu Aug 28 06:31:11 MDT 2008

In terms of cleaning the lucar connector sleeves, there is a great lucar
connector cleaning brush made by GEM Enterprises,
www.gem-enterprises.net/page3.html.  I have been using one of these brushes
for close to 10 years now on both my Spitfire and MGB.  If the lucar
connector is still in good condition, but just dirty, these are the cat's
meow in my opinion.

Randall, I do believe all TRs used bullet connectors.  I know my son's 76
TR7 has lots of them.  And you're right, it's a good idea to have a number
of these lucar connector sleeves on hand because sometimes the problem is
the metal has broken within the rubber sleeve.

Mark

Subject: Re: [TR] cleaning electrical bullet connectors

> I don't have much time at the moment to replace all the electrical
connectors on the GT6, let alone the whole
> wiring harness.  But I've been having some of the connectors get fritzy.
Is there a preferred way of minimizing
> future unintentional disconnect events?

In general, I polish away any corrosion I can reach with a Scotch-Brite pad
or similar.  Then bend as necessary to get a good, firm mechanical
connection; and apply a light coat of some suitable material to attempt to
keep future oxidation away.

Not sure if the GT6 uses bullet connectors; but sometimes the bullet
sleeves are simply broken inside and must be replaced.  It can be difficult
to tell, since the outer vinyl sleeve will shrink and grab the bullet at
the edge of
the sleeve.  So, I make sure to push the bullet well inside the sleeve, and
then check (by tugging gently on the wire) that it's held firmly by the
metal contact inside the sleeve.  If there is any play at all, the sleeve
should be replaced, IMO.  Arguably, sleeves are cheap enough (under $1 @
British Wiring) to just
replace whenever there is any doubt

Randall