[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 21:53:58 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/26/2008 8:49:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dorpaul at bellsouth.net writes:

Could  someone explain to me if there is a big difference in the  metallurgy
between those fasteners that are 'tightened against' each other  at 65 ft lbs
of torque vs. nearby fasteners receiving merely only 26 ft  lbs?  I still
think
it's questionable concerning the loosening of a  bolt that might be overly
torqued beyond it's 26 ft. lb. limit.

Does  that mean 'tightening nuts against each other' provides a measure  of
security?  Better than nylock nuts?  Does wiring a nut on mean  'tightening
it,
then drilling a hole thru nut and bolt, then sticking wire  thru it?

Thanks, Paul

Paul,
I really have no idea what your situation is. However,  I always try  to
assemble my cars back using the same hardware type as used by the factory,  and
torqued per the shop manual. To attempt to re-engineer any joints on a
production non-racing vehicle I think is a mistake and not something I would  do.
Best, Mike Moore

deal here.