[TR] Brake Fluid

TeriAnn Wakeman twakeman at razzolink.com
Tue Aug 26 06:56:38 MDT 2008

Don't forget to replace all rubber bits that come into contact with the
brake fluid, including the rubber hoses.  If the cylinders are in good
shape, a set of rebuild kits & hoses will do the job.

Break fluid affects rubber.  DOT5 affects it differently than the other
fluids.  Switching between the two without changing the rubber usually
causes leaks.

Basically, remove the bleed screws,  drain the old fluid run a qt. of
alcohol through the  system, replace the rubber hoses, rebuild the
cylinders using new rubber then fill.

When I rebuilt my TR3 I converted to DOT5.  I didn't tighten one of the
tubes at the bottom or the reservoir quite tight enough and all the
fluid leaked out over and down the freshly painted bulkhead overnight.
Next day I was very happy that it was not DOT4.

Teriann

For sale: factory TR3 hard top, cylinder head, lug wrench & TR3
overdrive gearbox without overdrive unit.