[TR] Lock nuts and lock washers

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Mon Aug 25 22:35:43 MDT 2008

Randall wrote:
>> Ah, but, they do work.  They work just fine in normal
>> application.
>>

> Well, let's draw what I feel is an important distinction to this discussion.
> Where lockwashers work well is in joints that do not have stresses near the
> capability of the bolt/stud, but do need the spring/locking action that a
> lockwasher can provide and are tight enough to compress the lockwasher.

This is a distinction that probably fits into general engineering
practice, which is what I was trying to describe.  What Mr. Taylor is
saying, repeatedly, is that lockwashers _do not work at all_, and that
mistakes the ideal for actual practice.  He's suggesting an either/or
situation, which simply does not exist.  There are gradations in
engineering requirements, as in most other fields.

I've read Carroll's book on fasteners, too. I've also spent more than
thirty-odd years doing mechanical and engineering work in practical
application, and the suggestion Mr. Taylor makes is contrary to my
education and experience. On the basis of that experience, I would
almost suggest that ordinary shade-tree mechanics not deviate from
manual requirements, unless they know what they are doing.  If, for
example, a hobbyist doesn't know--i.e., have in the manual--an
understanding of how advanced fasteners are to be installed, more grief
may ensue than planned.  Deformed prevailing torque nuts, for example,
work well only if they are installed properly.  If they are installed,
for example, with air tools, the threads on both the bolt and the nut
will be damaged.  I know whereof I speak--I've had to document this kind
of damage in the heavy-duty automotive industry.

I haven't said that lockwashers should be used in a place where the
manual does not specify them, and there are good reasons for them not
being used in some installations.  But, to suggest that they not be used
at all where they have been otherwise specified _is_ unnecessarily
fear-inducing in the ordinary hobbyist who is simply desiring to
maintain and drive normally.  I will repeat:  if lockwashers were not
safe to be used in the applications for which they are specified by
qualified engineers, they would be banned by FMVSS.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....