[TR] TR3a spare tire lid rubber seal

Jim Wallace grandfatherjim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:43:04 MDT 2008

I installed mine with the lip protruding "outwards" i.e. not toward the
opening for the spare tire.
This, by memory as I felt sure I had read to do so on this list. Now, I am
doubting myself - maybe that's the boot seal that has its lip facing
outward?

Anyway on securing the spare tire lid, it was a very, very, tight fit. Maybe
this is because the rubber needs to be compressed for a while, but the
centre of the lid bulges out quite a bit and it's disturbing. I put it on so
that the lip of the rubber is contained within the metal lip on the spare
tire cover. Should I have just let the edge of the rest on the rubber lip,
instead of trying to contain it? It seemed it would be an even tighter fit
this way.

Thanks,
Jim Wallace

PS The lip does go outward on the boot lid seal right?