[TR] TR4A Front Wheel Bearings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 18:39:19 MDT 2008

> My question is what to do to prepare the felt washer? Do I
> soak this in something before installation?

Don't know that it's "best", but I've been just leaving them dry.  Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.

> Also, what is the preferred way to set up the bearing
> backlash? I remember reading somewhere that I should install
> the bearings into the hubs without the seal and mount the
> hub, counting the turns on the nut until it is snug.

I do recommend that when you're replacing the felt seal, but remember that
the proper final position is backed off 1.0 to 1.5 flats from 'snug', to
leave some clearance in the bearing.

> Then, take off the hub, install the felt washer (metal side
> out?)

Metal side goes towards the bearing; the felt rides on the vertical link.

Randall