[TR] TR4A Front Wheel Bearings

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sun Aug 24 18:29:15 MDT 2008

Hi List,
OK, I have my TR4A chassis about half put together and I am about to install
new wheel bearings in the front hubs. The wheel bearing kit has a inner and
outer bearing, a small bag of grease, and a felt seal with a thin metal
washer attached to it.
My question is what to do to prepare the felt washer? Do I soak this in
something before installation?
Also, what is the preferred way to set up the bearing backlash? I remember
reading somewhere that I should install the bearings into the hubs without
the seal and mount the hub, counting the turns on the nut until it is snug.
Then, take off the hub, install the felt washer (metal side out?) and put
the whole thing back together with the exact same number of turns on the
nut.
What is the best way to install the front wheel bearings?
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a