[TR] Nyloc Nut on Tie-Rod Ends

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 12:29:36 MDT 2008

List,
I had a frightening experience last nite: steering failure on my GT6.   The
Nyloc nut came off the left tie-rod end and the end popped out of its tapered
hole in the steering arm - fortunately, it happened right in my garage!   I
replaced the (missing) Nyloc nut with a Grade 8 nut and lock washer, then
double-checked the tightness of the Nyloc on the right side.   The threads stripped
right out!
Although the nut has the gold color of Grade 8 hardware, it has no markings
and is the height of a jam nut (about six threads) plus the Nylon locking
feature.   I have lost my confidence in Nyloc nuts in such critical applications.
Sadly, just about all tie-rod ends seem to use Nylocs instead of the
old-fashioned (and reliable) castellated nut and cotter pin.
Let this be a "Heads Up" to anyone who is using Nylock nuts in their tie-rod
ends.   It might have happened on the road rather than in the garage!
George Haynes