[TR] oil pressure gizmo

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 23 18:42:06 MDT 2008

List, After reading David's reply shown below, I had to ask a question.

 By now, engines proably come with such a device.  But is there a gizmo that
shuts the engine off (or blinks a red light) if a motor's oil pressure drops
significantly?
Anything like this for a TRactor Motor?

thanks, Paul   60 TR3

Gary,
I have a friend who had the same problem with a freshly rebuilt 3A  motor.
All of a sudden in very few miles the oil pressure went to  zero.  I helped
him
out with the second rebuild and this is what I  found.  Go to the Moss
catalogue Internal Engine.  Part 32 #325-180  had sheared (god knows why)
and the
part 33 #836-510 was permitted to slip up  inside part 31 #836-520, and
disengage the shaft from the oil pump.  His  first assessment of the
situation was
that the combination of part 31 and 33 was  too short and was made wrong,
but
after closer inspection I found that the pin  was sheared.  The shaft would
engage enough to build oil pressure but the  slightest amount of play would
allow
the tang to slip out and the pump stopped  rotating.  Going inside the sump
see if the pump was engaged did not  reveal this.  It happened when the
motor
was running.  I am not sure,  but it appears that the dizzy was tightened
down
mighty hard with the tang  not engaged in the slot of the pump shaft.
This is a long shot that this would happen twice in the same universe, but
it is worth a look.
It may be for a different reason, but make sure your shaft and pump are
engaged at all times.

David

--
It has removed 887 spam emails to date.