[TR] toyota transmission

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sat Aug 23 17:07:27 MDT 2008

Frank,
Here's the gear ratios (http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/5speedRatio.htm)
Mine was out of an '83 Celica and has the 0.783 5th gear but I never could
find any markings on the tranny case itself. Further down that page you can
see how I determined the ratio.

There are lots of W58 tranny's out there but only the ones listed in gear
ratio table will fit without any modifications. Having said that........Dane
Wilson is using a W58 from a '92 Supra but it required changing out the
Shift Lever Housing to the same one on the tranny's that Herman recommends.
It's Toyota part number 33502-14100 and costs about $130. Expensive part but
it opens up more W58 trannys that will work with the kit.

Here's some good links:
A good link resource on how to take apart the transmission incase you need
to change or modify the part:
http://www.celicasupra.com/w58teardown/csw58.html

Other references:
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html

http://alldrivelineparts.com/transmissions/tw56cp.html

Complete Toyota W58 transmission service manual:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=MT&P=1

Complete Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog for W58 (MkIII Supra)
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/chassis.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_Transmission#W58

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U